Thursday, September 23, 2010

Shocking Revelation: Teens Talk More Than They Tweet

Kids rock. Kids rule. Just ask them.

As a dad of three kids (no longer in their teens) and having once been a kid myself, I can honestly say that I love kids. I love babies, I love toddlers, I love youngsters, I even love teens. Kids are awesome. They are full of potential and energy and promise. They represent the best of what the world is and what it can become.

So, I was intrigued when I read the Adweek headline: Teens Deliver Brand WOM.

Of course I hate the idea that our industry is actually stalking teens to determine their "purchasing" and "communication" habits. But we are a capitalist society, so what're you gonna do?

But what really got my attention, what really took me by surprise, was what this study found:

Despite teens' immersion in the Internet, the report says the vast majority of their word of mouth takes place either face-to-face (75 percent) or by phone (10 percent). Just 13 percent occurs online.

Wow. I am shocked. I am surrounded by teen nieces (no nephews) who appear to forever be on their phones calling, texting and checking Facebook (none of them tweet), and like most adults I figured that's all they were doing. Turns out I was wrong. Turns out my perception about social networking and today's teens was faulty. And I am happy to get hung up - or out - on this one.

As Lady GaGa says in the last line of Telephone:

We're sorry, We're sorry,
the number you have reached is not in service at this time
Please check the number, or try your call again.

No comments:

Post a Comment