Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mac Attack

My dad was the very definition of a troublemaker. He reveled like a child in the business of mischief, smiling from ear to ear as he picked and poked and prodded you into an argument. But to his credit, he always knew when to stop.

"Okay, that's enough," he'd say as tempers began to flare. Then he'd evaluate and assess the action, like a movie critic after a good show. I miss my dad.


So I was talking to my youngest son this afternoon and I asked him if he'd seen the new Mac commercials. "The ones making fun of PC for all the money they are spending on advertising," I gushed.

"Yeah, they're ridiculous," he replied matter of factly.

I must admit I was taken aback... mildly shocked. I knew he was primarily a PC user (he's a scientist after all), but he is also a progressive young man. He's had an iPod since day one and he traded in his old phone for a iPhone earlier this year.

"Wait," I said, "are we talking about the same commercials?"

Then he got that tone... that "I know you're my dad and I respect you, but I am not an idiot" tone.

"It's ridiculous. Apple is paying for TV commercials to make fun of Microsoft for spending money on TV commercials. It's stupid."

Of course, he is right. Somehow in the pleasure of the moment I lost sight of the truth. It's the old "Do as I say, not as I do" endorsement, which is as my son says, ridiculous and stupid.

So, Mac, I would like to share some sage advice from my dear departed dad: "Okay, that's enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment