Friday, September 5, 2008

That's Gold, Jerry! Gold!

Bania: Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar is round. They should call it round tine.

Bania was an idiot, but he know a good joke when he heard it. Bill Gates on the other hand is a genius, but does he know a good joke when he hears it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/?CMXID=60C6C23B-7524-4F92-8C07-5887972FA4B7&WT.srch=1

The new Microsoft ad - in and of itself - is pure gold. Pure Seinfeld. After all, it's about nothing.

On the downside, the writing is really not all that good. On the upside, Jerry Seinfeld remains an icon, and who knew that Bill Gates was willing and able to adjust his shorts on command? It is a great little spot (90-seconds little) that tells a fun little story. And it has me looking forward to watching the next installment.

But what I am really curious about, what I want to start a conversation about is the $300 million they are spending on this campaign. Is it just me or is that a lot of money to spend on nothing? Of course this is Bill Gates we're talking about; I'm guessing he and I don't look at money the same way...

Kramer: At Brandt-Lealand, I’m gettin’ things done.
Jerry: How much are they paying you?
Kramer: Oh no no no, I don’t want any money, I’m doin’ this just for me.
Jerry: Clearly… so, uh, what do you do down there all day?
Kramer: T.C.B. You know, takin’ care of business. Well, I gotta go… ah, can’t forget my briefcase.
Jerry: What have you got in there?
Kramer: Crackers.

Still, at a cost of $300 million, I have to believe that it has to be about something... Right?

Jerry: So, we go into NBC, we tell them we've got an idea for a show about nothing.
George: Exactly.
Jerry: They say, "What's your show about?" I say, "Nothing."
George: There you go.
(A moment passes)
Jerry: (Nodding) I think you may have something there.

No comments:

Post a Comment